This is not exactly the style I wanted to do for Boo this week, but she put in a special request for beads (her "star" beads, in particular) so I had to choose something that would work specifically with those. The issue is that the star beads have a larger whole than the smaller beads, and don't work on really thin box braids. Further, although Boo's hair is very long, it is not very thick, thus requiring that I make pretty large boxes in order to have twists fat enough to accommodate the beads.
Last night I parted the hair as usual, but I wasn't happy with how the parts came out. I was trying to do a more staggered pattern but it just looked sloppy and not well thought-out so I reparted about half of it this morning.
These are the parts and rope twists that I ended up with after redoing them this morning:
As I mentioned above, Boo's hair is pretty long and pretty thin. I think the picture above clearly illustrates that. She has only a few twists in and yet they look so sad and lonely because there is so much space between them. I'm not a fan. I so decided to play with them a bit. First I tried taking the 8 twists in the back and pulling them into one ponytail:
Two twists on each side of the front of her head remained, and I just let them hang down:
The second option that I tried (and ultimately the one that she's wearing right now) was pulling only 6 of the twists into the back ponytail:
I then made two ponytails on each side of the front of her head with three twists each:
This way we were both pleased: Boo got to have her "star beads" and I got to have a style that was relatively painless to do and will be easy to care for in the coming week. Win-win.