So I saw these twists in the hair movie preview that I posted a few weeks back and wanted to give them a try. Turns out that Boo just does not have thick enough hair to pull them off. Although they didn't turn out horribly, they were still nowhere near as good as I wanted (or expected) them to be. *sigh* However, I'm glad that I tried them. And a learned a few things from doing so.
When trying something new, I always select a small area to commit to the design. That way if they don't work out, it would only be in a small section of her hair. For this style, I chose to try these spiral twists (I'm not sure what they're called, but that's how I've been referring to them) in just the front section of her hair. I also figured that with sleeping and such I didn't want her to roll around on them and mess them up. It was a good choice for us because these twists were not very tight and ended up losing their shape pretty quickly.
I started with a simple ear-to-ear part and then did a diagonal front-to-back part, just for variety, up to the ear-to-ear part. I twisted the back part of her hair just to keep it out of the way while I worked on the front.
I Then parted a diagonal row on left-hand side, and clipped all other hair out of the way.
I divided that row into boxes and then clipped them. Clipping is really necessary, but I wanted to take a photo and this was the easiest way to hold the hair in sections to illustrate what I was doing.
I started each box by twisting the hair a bit. At this point it became glaringly obvious that Boo was not going to have enough hair to achieve a look anything near the original style. Nonetheless, I continued onward, mostly out of curiosity; I figured it might not look the same, but I was certain I could make it work.
I Then took the first box and started twisting the hair clockwise. Eventually it twisted so much that it looped over on itself. Once it did that I then added that hair to the hair in the box behind it and repeated the same step of twisting until it looped up on itself.
It formed a very wimpy chain of loops. Not doubt if your child has thicker hair these will look a lot better. Surprisingly they were much more stable than I though they were going to be. They did lay flat along the head and did not need to be pinned to keep them in place.
Here are the finished rows on the other side of her head. Adding yarn or hair would likely have "beefed" them up enough to achieve a look closer to the one in the movie, but I was pretty happy with these so I left them as-is. Again, they're not my favourite thing I've ever tried, but it was definitely worth the experience to do so.
To keep the ends of her hair protected, I opted to do a sock bun in the back. It had been so long since I had done a sock bun it was at that point that I realized that she had significantly longer hair and could have benefited from a thicker sock for her bun. Oh well, now I know!
I finished the ends of the twisted spirals by braiding them together and tucking them into the back of her head into the sock bun, so as to keep the ends protected.
A top view of the style. You can see the part is jagged on the top. This is because there was only one box in that last row and it didn't seem worth it to loop just a single box and then have to stretch it down into the braid so I just combed it into the sock bun.
A side view of the completed look.
Boo wore this style for a week. Funny, I thought I was going to have problems with the spirals coming out in the front, but it turns out that the sock bun proved to be our biggest issue. Little did I know that sock buns and preschool do not mix! Every day I picked her up from school the hair had come out of the bun and was flying every-which-way. It was easy enough to fix, but I wasn't thrilled that she probably spent the better part of each day at school with her hair flopping around, half-in / half-out of it's original style. That was lesson two learned from this style.
Again, I'm happy that I attempted this look. Even though it didn't work out exactly as I had hoped, I did learn a few things from the experience. I do think I will revisit these again at some point, likely adding yarn to see if I can get them closer to the original look. Mostly because I just have to know whether or not that will work!